Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Rabid Camera: a Sappy Love Story


I was pretending to take notes in English class while scribbling on the script for ill-fated web-series Homeschoolers vs. Zombies, the train wreck that was going to break my heart and change my life for good. This guy who sat next to me- cute, loquacious, spoke a little Russian- leaned over and said, “Is that about zooooombies? O_O”



Oh my gosh, I didn’t trust him. I didn’t know him. I said, “Yeeees. ._.”

His eyes were big and childish and hopeful, like someone was holding out a puppy that played video games. He said- dagnabbit, he knew how cute he was- “Can I help? O_O”


I didn’t know him. I’d barely talked with him. But he was all cute and his eyes were enormous and I said yes.


















 Six months later, he’d graduated from carrying bags to choreographing fights to coaching dialog, and I didn’t know how I’d ever worked without him. He was trustworthy with a little, so I kept giving him more jobs, and soon I was putting the camera in his hand. He worked tirelessly, taught gently, corrected me with deference and respect. I realized that being with him was the only time I felt calm.



Soon I was watching behind the scenes of him carefully smoothing latex onto our littlest zombie’s face, and I realized that against all my intentions, I’d fallen for the cute guy in English class.



And then we got lost in a parking lot, in a thunderstorm, at night. We walked for two hours looking for my car. At last we crossed a street, climbed a hill, whooping and laughing, and we collapsed in the front seat of the Paraclete. And he looked at me and said, “Well, what are we making next?”

And I’m a genius, so I was like, “Nothing; you’re moving to Vermont and you’re going to meet a girl and you’re not going to have time for this anymore.”



Can I move space and time and give you the high points of the dialog? Because he said, “Joy. I’m a guy. You’re a girl. Boy has met girl.”



And I was like, “Well...I’m happy. ._.”



Soooo, that’s my sappy valentines day story. Here is a picture of my best friend and co-director with the ridiculous present I made for him last Valentines; it's a pony-monkey monster, and if you’re a Jonathan Coulton fan, you definitely know what that means. 



If not, you might really enjoy this song: Skull Crusher Mountain Song, by Jonathan Coulton
 

Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment